Slow painting

Saturday 28 November 2009

Still green


The green manure is still green. And downy. It was only when I was up close to it yesterday, with the low sun slanting across the leaves, that I noticed the fine hairs on the leaves of the red clover.

Lots of lovely nitrogen fixing going on. I will definitely sow clover again. The other green manure I tried this year - field beans - not so sure, since they didn't give the blanket effect I was after, and were a pain to dig in. Mind you, I haven't tried digging in the clover yet.

5 comments:

Vilt og vakkert said...

Heisann Linda!

Nice to have visitors from abroad.
I live in the south of Norway near the coast where we usually have weather like this in the beginning of December.
But, of course, we are longing for snow for Christmas.
Where in Scotland do you live? My son studied at Glasgow Caledonian University last year.
Have a nice weekend!

L. D. said...

Yes, in the old days my dad always plowed under the clover for spring planting. It was about the only fertilizer he had other than the lime he would put on in the spring. That is one good shot of red clover.

Jo said...

I haven't sown any green manure. My soil is in such a state that I'm using the traditional method of manuring the whole plot, well some of it's done, the rest of it will get done if this weather ever lets up.

donna said...

Green is the loveliest of colors!

Unknown said...

Nice green...though a little out of focus, its lovely...