Slow painting

Sunday 18 January 2009

Quick foray


Busy busy weekend, so again just time for a quick foray. Ghastly photo quality here, but perhaps just enough to see that the broccoli is recovering from pigeon attack and putting forth new leaves.

The Pink Fir Apple potatoes which we are all spurning are still in the ground, but amazingly resisting the frost. I dug four shaws to give to a work colleague who will appreciate them. In doing so I turned up some slug eggs, which I took a guilty pleasure in squashing. A few less of the little blighters for next summer. The macro setting on my wee camera has decided not to be available, so the detail in this photo is poor. But the general idea of lurking threat is there.



The weeds are still growing, imperceptibly but strongly. Oh for some snow to cover the ground. We may have a mild Gulf Stream-influenced climate, but it's definitely milder than it was, and winter mildness = carpets of weeds. Yet it's not mild enough to start indoor sowing.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I didn't know pigeons liked broccoli, interesting. I think I may have started sowing my seeds indoors a little to soon, oh well, I will have plants all over the house a waiting spring!!

SandyCarlson said...

I admire your hard work in your garden. And the sky below is gorgeous.

Corner Gardener Sue said...

I thought the broccoli was kale at first. I tend to have that on my brain. I'm glad it is recovering.